Lylan Masterman is a Venture Capital Investor at White Star Capital and a Kauffman Fellow. Lylan shares helpful tips for selecting good board members as well as being a good board member yourself. At White Star Capital, Lylan focuses primarily on late Seed and Series A investments, but he does offer advice on how an entrepreneur can successfully navigate between Series A to Series B rounds. Listen in for more!
What Was Covered
- 04:05 - How did Lylan get started?
- 08:45 - You have to do your homework about the investors that you're pitching.
- 13:00 - How did Lylan become a Kauffman Fellow?
- 14:20 - Does Lylan have any advice on how to be a good board member?
- 19:00 - At Kauffman, Lylan learned how to best define your personal brand vs. your firm's brand.
- 21:10 - A nice person who isn't helpful is simply not all that valuable.
- 23:15 - What is White Star Capital?
- 24:15 - What are some of the differences about being a VC based in New York vs. San Francisco?
- 26:05 - How did Lylan get involved with the Dollar Shave Club?
- 28:25 - What makes a good pitch? The story behind the company.
- 30:25 - What are some of the thing that help someone get from Series A to Series B?
- 32:10 - What has your board of directors done for you lately?
- 33:35 - Lylan shares the formula for trust.
Be nice and helpful.
Time, effort and mental energy.
Have a personal brand that is memorable.
Quality of team more important the more money you raise.
J Robinett Enterprises
John Livesay Funding Strategist
Lylan Masterman Website
Lylan on LinkedIn
Dollar Shave Club Website
The Trusted Advisor by David Maister and Robert M. Galform
Want the Transcription?
Click Here to Download
Crack The Funding Code!
Register now for the free webinar
Share The Show
Did you enjoy the show? I'd love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the 'Subscribe' button below the artwork
- Go to the 'Ratings and Reviews' section
- Click on 'Write a Review'