David Howitt is the CEO of the Meriwether Group and is also the author of Heed Your Call. Dave shines a new preservative on the role of a guide or mentor. He says that not all mentors make you feel good, but they can always teach you a very profound and important lesson about yourself and about the world. He also explains why the story of Wizard of Oz and the entrepreneur's journey are very similar to one another.
- 02:35 - David talks a bit about his background and why he decided to leave his high-level position.
- 06:20 - We're taught that leaving your miserable job is the equivalent of failure.
- 07:30 - David touches on his book, Heed Your Call.
- 09:30 - David shares an important lesson he learned from his grandfather.
- 12:00 - When bad things happen to us, we tend to go into a victim mentality. Instead, try to turn it around by asking yourself positive questions like what can you learn from this experience.
- 13:15 - The problematic people in your life are there to teach you important lessons.
- 15:30 - What is the Meriwether Group's process?
- 19:30 - The single biggest regret people have when they're dying is that they didn't do what they wanted to do, they did what they were told to do or what was expected of them.
- 19:45 - David explains why the Wizard of Oz is so closely linked to the entrepreneurial journey.
- 25:20 - What kind of pitches does David look for?
- 30:35 - There needs to be a perfect balance of right brain and left brain to make a pitch really work.
- 32:45 - David recommends two books every entrepreneur should read.
Profit AND Prophet
When we let go creativity shows up
Thinker and dreamer
Equal parts passion and presentation
Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy
Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin
Metaphorically Selling by Anne Miller
Want the Transcription?
Click Here to Download
Share The Show
Did you enjoy the show? I'd love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the 'Subscribe' button below the artwork
- Go to the 'Ratings and Reviews' section
- Click on 'Write a Review'